Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 
FOOD, FOOD, FOOD

The issue du jour was food. How much to have, what to have, what will stay down ... A combination of nerves, travel, bad food and medications left me quite ill today. I had very little to eat and I felt really gross. Sigh. I think tomorrow will be better - it better be.

Even with the sicky feeling, today's adventure was buying groceries that will be my food on race day. As of this writing, this will be:

Bananas - 2 bunches (not all for race day, but close)

Fig Newmans - These are the organic Paul Newman brand of Fig Newtons. Don't laugh.

Yams - 2.5 lbs. I can't chew while I'm on the bike, and I'll need lots of carbs, calories and vitamin. The little sign over the bin of yams said they have 400 cals, 48 g of carbs and potassium. perfect! my idea is to cook them in the microwave then mash them up with some turkey and cream cheese to make this nice healthy stuff i can just stick my fingers in then eat. all while moving at around 17 mph. I haven't tested this idea yet, but i will before Sunday.

Clif Bloks - Yummy little gummy squares packed with electrolytes

Organic oreos - These are for the run only. I can chew better while I'm fast walking than riding, so I'll scarf down some sugar to get going. I tried this in the Vineman race a couple years ago and it was a lifesaver.

Honey sandwiches - Again, this will be for bike rest stops and/or the run.

This doesn't sound real enticing, I know. But, the idea is to keep the calories coming in while you're burning them up at lightning speed. Bigger bodies consume more calories, so I gotta be double sure to eat lots. Jeff Galloway told us at the TCM expo that your body goes into a diabetic state after the effort of something like a marathon. So, can you be triple diabetic? Isn't that comatose?

Comments:
Stacy,

I am running my first half-marathon in a few weeks, so the food thing I have been thinking about and dabbling with. You have got some good ideas. What about putting your yam mash in a zip bag, cut one corner and squeeze it into your mouth? You can keep the cut end in another baggie. Clean hands! What are you doing for electrolyte replacement? Please keep in mind food safety. Certain non-refrigerated items can grow nasties quickly. Be careful with the cooked turkey. Maybe you can give it to Skip to keep in a cooler and meet up with you to hand it off. Keep in mind the four hour rule. Any cooked items after being refrigerated can begin growing bacteria after being left at room temperature after four hours. Your tummy is going to be going through enough without needing any help from food critters. Can you do peanut butter on bread? It makes me burp, but the protein, fat and carb combo have nice proportions. Try not to think about barfing :)
 
Oops, From Cheryl
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?