Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 
DAY 2

Weather in Tempe - Cloudy, 72, east winds at 7 mph

Today is the day I go down to Tempe. My bags are packed and my bike's on its way south, so I'm doing this blog. It's part procrastination and part time-filler. I could come up with a lot of ways to kill time this morning, but they'd all seem to come down to worrying about the race, so I'm not doing them.

Speaking of worrying... Most of you have had my monologue on the bike cutoff times. After my experience being chased for 17 miles by a sweep bus in the Twin Cities Marathon I'm very worried about cutoff times. This is actually the only thing I'm fretting over right now. Colleen mentioned something about the good kind of vomiting on the course and the bad kind. That's been sticking in my mind, too.


The issue here is that you have to maintain a certain speed/pace over the distance of 112 miles in order to finish the bike leg by 5.30 pm. when you add in time you'd stop to stretch, use a porta-potty, fix a flat if you have one, etc your riding pace can be dragged down too low. therefore, the anxiety for someone like me who's new to this whole thing.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?